Sunday, June 19, 2005

Capturing the world

It was with joy that I grilled the salesman. I bombarded him with many questions about the specifications, freebies, advantages and disadvantages over other brands, after sales service, head office of the company. I was thrilled to finally be able to choose among numerous models, inspect the different features, and check out the content of the menu.

- - - - - -

I grew up exposed to art. I dabbled into painting, let my fingers brush through a clay image, cut through thick boards for characters in a shadow play, created laughter with caricatures, executed into glass known theories on color combinations, felt the burning sensation of the drying plaster of Paris, etched into black paper the shapes of nature...

I left all of these behind... awful experiences in a certain art world that should have helped me reach out to my creative core made me instead decide to bid my adieu ... and so I stopped, shifted to another path, not so ver far away from what I felt then was my calling but still it was not the same track.

But for those of us who have once entered the doorway to art may not totally leave it behind. It is within us, forever bound to our hearts. It has always been there. Inside my mind, inside my soul, inside my heart. A pity though that I can no longer recapture the lost art. Many years have passed. I lost with them the skills, the styles, even the passion to capture the beauty of the world, of the creation, the image of man.

But then one day I realized that it is still possible! To once again go back to my art. Not with paints, not with clay, nor with wood. Technology has provided me with another avenue - - - pictures... of the world, of people, of scenic views!

- - - - -

And so today I finally bought my very own, my own camera! It can, I believe, be my passport to the world that I used to love so much. I ask only the it bid me entry. Should I be afraid? I don't think so.

Instead, the world is welcoming me to take her likeness, for me to capture those precious moments, to snatch in her wondrous images. Let me take your beauty, capture your charm, and recreate it all into everlasting art!

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)