Saturday, September 24, 2005

A different kind of boss

A previous blog mentioned that my boss just left. This means, of course, that a new one replaced him. With trepidation, I prayed to God that I will be able to get along with her. Three weeks have passed and I can say for sure that God did answer my prayer. Everyone said that I was lucky to have her as a boss. Let me enumerate some of the reasons:

- She gave several things for my trip to France ( a scarf, a sweater, and a shawl)
- She lent me a coat (wool, great for a 5 degree weather!)
- She started a Friday morning merienda ( the recent one... chocolates, dried mango, chocolate spread and strawberry jam on baguette..mmm....)
- She stimulated the admin. officer to clean up the stockroom and pantry (expired food, dusty and old supplies, outdated announcements... get the picture)
- She explains what she wants to happen in our sector, shares what she is doing and asks what she can do to help in what you are doing
- She prefers giving jobs to those who are really in need (tagalog tutorials from a sister-in-law of an employee, week-end job for the wife of the messenger, etc.)

What made me realized last week just how different she is? She knows how to encourage her team. She gives praises to whom they are due. She acknowledges contributions and tells it to others.

I have to admit it made me afraid. I became anxious since I know that I don't want to disappoint her expectations. Oh, they are not unreachable goals. She is realistic. Yet she is a perfectionist.

But I think this is the right kind of boss. The kind that pushes you to do your best yet does not step over your rights. The kind that makes you go a bit further so that your report will be the best ever. The kind that may push you to your limits yet will make you feel great about it. The kind that will make you learn more beyond what you thought possible.

I had many bosses. I am glad that God finally gave me a great one.

1 comment:

Beng said...

Happy for you, Jen. May your boss see the gem that you are, and polish you until you truly shine. :-)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)