Saturday, October 22, 2005

Sharing the cup

I searched the internet for possible options. I made sure that it is somehow related to what i was familiar with. A recent visitor helped me get additional information. The choices were trimmed down to three.

And so on that Sunday morning, I had to make a choice. Which church should I go to? I have always wanted to see French Christians. They seem to be a rare breed. I haven't encountered one in my entire life. So my trip to Paris gave me a great opportunity to see what they do. And so I chose what I thought to be the best one. The name includes "Pentecostal." It must be a good choice. Very near the metro. It wouldn't be so complicated to go there.

My adventure begins.

I couldn't find the place (the number was not indicated outside). I just followed the crowd.

The service already started. I chose a seat and sat down. A big column covered my view. I couldn't see the pastor. Moving was not possible. Other people came in and I would create some fuss if I move. And so I hear what I couldn't see. Still good. I am a good listener.

The singing began. I didn't know the songs. My seatmate gingerly shared her booklet. It was then that I discovered... it is not the pentecostal service I had in mind. But it is okay. The important thing is that I was able to attend a service.

I loved though the part where everyone was free to verbalize their praises to God. Filipinos should be more like that. Even during the big services.

The pastor gave a short sermon. I don't remember it. Too early mornings for the last week. Not enough sleep. Thus, I was so so sleepy!

And then verbal praises again. Then singing. And then suddenly, I heard the pastor asking something to the people and saw them stand. I did not quite understand his words so I decided to remain seated.

Good decision.

It was the communion.

Why?

In shock I saw the usher giving a silver cup and a tissue to the first person on the row. I asked myself, "Will they do what I think they will do?"

And they did!

One drinks. Then cleanses the edge with the tissue paper. The next one does the same thing. Until the last one.

I would have wanted to take the communion. But I just couldn't. I hope it is okay.

Christ probably shared His cup with the disciples.

Still...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh girl! Funny entry. I just had to let out a hearty laugh. =)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)