Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Fathom yourself

I do not need to look into a mirror and sing the song of Mulan. True, her song is not mine to own. She reflects on her life as woman who has no voice in a world of men. I do not need to battle as an activist for my place in this world. I wage a different kind of battle. And so I would like to borrow her verses ...

Look at me,
You may think you see
Who I really am,
But you'll never know me.

Everyday,
it's as if I play
A part.

Now I see,
If I wear a mask,
I can fool the world,
but I cannot fool my heart.

This I ask, not to anyone else, but to myself. I often think I know myself but then there are circumstances in life that show that I do not.


Who is that girl I see?
Staring straight,
Back at me.
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

I may ask myself this question again and again but I know that I will never get the right answer. I am a clay beneath the potter's hand. He alone knows my consistency, my texture, how much water I need to make me whole, my height and width, my capacity to contain things. How I wish I could see what He sees. Life would be easier. It would be predictable.

Who is that girl I see,
staring straight
back at me?
Why is my reflection someone I don't know?

Must I pretend that I'm
someone else
for all time.
When will my reflection show,
who I am inside?

There's a heart that must be free
to fly
That burns with a need to know
the reason why

Why must we all conceal
What we think
How we feel?

Must there be
a secret me
I'm forced to hide
I won't pretend that I'm
someone else
for all time.

When will my reflection show
who I am inside?

I will continue to ask. I will continue to search. I know I will never find the answer here on earth. Still, I will ask.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)