Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sometimes special

I remember my first time to take a trip. It seemed so long ago when I first saw the daylight.

From the glass panes, I saw her pass me by several times. I was surprised to see her furrowed forehead, reflecting and trying to decide. I thought I knew what was in her mind. Was I respectable enough? Do I have what it takes to stand up to the demands of the occasion? After many minutes of suspense, I almost shouted with glee for she has chosen me.

Three years ago, on my first happening, I sauntered down a red carpet. It was during a wedding. The other events I have graced I have already forgotten. Except the one late last December. Another wedding but this time I had to take a plane.

Then just last week, I dignified another affair. To be exact, the evening of last Friday, July 14. I almost didn’t make it. I heard that she was looking to bring another along. Happily, there wasn’t enough time nor pleasing choices. She had to make do with me. And so once more, I had the time of my life. I am doing what I was meant to do.

I know though that my days are numbered. I am beginning to feel the wear and tear of time. My appearance shows it. The wrinkles, the dullness, the shedding of the outer layer.

I never had so many times out in the world but I knew that each one was special. I knew what it cost her to bring me out. I knew that, unrestrained, she would not have chosen me. There were others prettier, more eye-catching, more flattering. I later realized that she has chosen me for she was bound by a certain kind of regulation. I became familiar with her behavior, whenever she was in my company. Her steps become slower. Her eyes were often on the floor, always on guard for an alien object. The next thing that she would look for was a chair. I also knew that on the next day, the underside of her feet would be tender. If she walked or stood for so long, she would have a small abrasion.

I cherish the days I spent with her but I know they must come to an end someday. Maybe I would have another occasion to shine. I hope I will.


For now, lay me within the paper covering. Close the box. Put it inside the plastic bag. I am inside. For the time being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silver satin slingback shoes with crossover detail in front; heels measure approximately 1.5-inch high; 3 years in service and still pretty, Most of her trips on carpets; other pairs in her cabinet may not have sosy trips, but they all have one thing in common - the owner carefully chose them from the store so they can serve her delicate feet which, not so long time ago, had to rest from wearing shoes.:-)

have a wonder-shoe day!

Anonymous said...

Hey ate! you should start a blog! :- ) unbfortunately, there are no other pairs such as this... it is my one and only... am hunting for a new pair to replace this old one... it was fun wearing these shoes... until i felt the pain... truly, no pain, no gain... or vanity over confort :- )
- jen

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)