Saturday, May 03, 2008

Stand and fight

I often take the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) System when I go home at night. It is faster, cheaper, less polluted in noise and smell. During rush hour, hundreds of commuters push one another to fit inside a train that should carry much less in number. In fact, I don't need to do anything in order to get in. Just let myself be malleable enough to be shoved inside by people at the back, or the people after them. If you are already inside, expect to  find yourself propelled into the innermost section of the train and you would need to ram yourself against human bodies in order to get out. To add, you would discover that your face is already brushing against the hair of the person in front of you, or feel the person behind closely breathing on your neck. And all you can think is "I want to get out from this crowd" but you know you can't until the doors open at the next stop.

With this undesirable situation, I have learned to fight back. Imperceptibly. When the door opens and the multitude press forward, I use my body to counter the shoving motion. It helps control the disorder that could become a tragedy. It is the same tactic I use when I am already inside. When I think that the maximum number of people are already inside (read : there is still space to breath!), I simply use all my force to unobtrusively reverse the tide of human bodies. And more often than not, I succeed.

This situation reminded me of life. 
It is so easy to let the tide of life wash over us. To follow where the current would lead us. I have been a witness to a person who allowed himself to be suctioned by life's tide. He did not fight back. He became too complacent that it brought him where it would only lead him - - - towards sin. 

I wish that fighting back against sin is as easy as pushing people in the MRT. I wish it so hard. But it is not. It takes a lot more effort. It requires us to conquer our fears.
I fight back because I fear more the idea that I would stay stuck in the pit of sin. I would not be able to look at myself and realize that I did nothing to change my situation. I know it is God who enables us. His forgiving grace and redemptive love allow us to have freedom. But I also know that we need to make a conscious effort and decision to follow Him. And with His help, stand my ground and fight. 
And to be able to say that I have fought a good fight. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny how riding a public transport can teach us a lesson on how to live through life's adversities..

Jen said...

yeah... the things that traffic can make us do :-)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)