Sunday, June 29, 2008

Learning....

I shouted with glee when I saw my current electricity bill. It went down by 23%! 

Other joys...the water bill has decreased by 27%. If the cooking gas lasts until the 7th of the next month, it means that we used one tank for two months instead of the usual one tank per month. Unfortunately, the price of rice has increased by 48%. And increasing prices for grocery, transportation costs, clothes, etc.

Who would think that I would be doing this? Computing by percentage my expenses. But when you are beginning to feel the pinch, then you become conscious.

I have been recording my expenses for the last six months. Just to see where my money is going. But it was only recently, in fact, it was only last week, that I scrutinized the excel table and what I saw is not good. I have been dipping from my savings. Not good... it is terrible, in fact.

Savings should at least be 10% of one's income. I am trying to practice this principle. It is getting harder and harder each day. 

I panic sometimes when I think of figures and percentages. Thus, in this crazy time, I am trying to learn about how to better manage my finances. Not easy.

More importantly though, I am learning more and more to depend on God. To always remember that He is my Father and He will take care of me.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)