Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Funny boots


As I tried on the boots I ordered, the two guys manning the little store tried to fish some information. Spoken in the local language, they barraged me with questions.

Ma'am, why don't you order boots for your husband? - I just smiled.
Are you married ma'am? - No.
Surely, many guys are courting you? - Hmmm... many... define many...
He has a crush on you. - That's right. That's why he didn't send me a text message that my boots were ready for pick up.
Ma'am, how come you have such an aquiline (matangos) nose? - I just chuckled.
You are pretty. - I just smiled.
Ma'am, how old are you? - Chuckling, I said that it is not polite to ask a lady her age.
Why is it not polite? Can I make a guess? - Sure.
25? - I said no, trying to stop myself from laughing loudly.
Less than 25? - Still smiling, I hurriedly and politely thanked them and left.

As I boarded the bus, I was smiling to myself. 25, yeah right! But it was flattering to be thought of as pretty and younger than my real age. Now that I think about it, maybe it was just their way to distract me. It was the third set of boots they made for me this year. Because the quality of the work done on the previous two were substandard. Now I only wish that the third set was okay. Unfortunately, it was not.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

5 comments:

Abaniko said...

Hi Jen. Naku, lumang style na yang mga hirit na yan. Ikaw naman! Hehe. Pero akala ko, 23 ka lang?

MelB said...

hahaha....take it for what it's worth!
You have boots made for you?? Is that typical where you live?

Gypsy said...

Cute! Will tell you mine story next time we meet. ;)

Dave said...

You are too good,
Once substandard is a mistake
Twice substandard is sloppy
Third time is bordering incompetent
Don't think I would try a forth.

Jen said...

hi abaniko! 24 lang! hahaha! :)

Hi mel. Nope, it's not common here. My case is special.

Thanks Dave for leaving a message.
I might be too kind to some.
But as I have mentioned, my case is special.
Boots are not commonly made here.
There aren't too many boot makers.
With affordable prices.
In a way, I could say,
Beggars can't be choosers.
I am not a beggar.
But my leg needs a special boot.
So there it is.
Not really kindness but a need.
I transferred to another branch
Where the shoemaker has more experience
Unlike where I used to go
Who just had 3 changes of shoemakers.
I am now praying
To finally have a good pair of boots! :)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)