Saturday, November 07, 2009

Food adventure

I was advised by my doctor to avoid certain foods that might be causing my breathing problems. For two weeks. What are they? Dairy, tomato, chocolate, nuts, beans, alcohol and cigarettes. My heart sank when I heard the last two. Okay, that's a joke. I don't drink and I am allergic to cigarette smoke. Seriously though, I told my doctor that I love yogurt. He said that it's not dairy. Hmmm... I think he is wrong in that. My next complaint was I won't be able to eat ice cream. He suggested that I try to find non-dairy ice cream! But is there such a thing?

When I got out of his clinic, the list of food to avoid began to increase. Pizza! Pasta! Cheesecake! Okay, I can always eat oil-based pasta. I like eating chocolate but I can survive without it for two weeks. Yeah, I can do this.

And so I headed to the grocery to buy snacks for the next two weeks. Got the surprise of my life! There are so many kinds of food that have milk or chocolate in them! BIscuits, cookies, muffins, chips, etc. Choco-filled, choco-flavored, filled with choco chips, nut-filled, cheese flavored, milk-flavored filling, butter flavored, etc! I ended up buying fig-filled cookies, malunggay flavored chips (I still have to try and see if it would even taste good!), salted and vinegar flavored chips.

The challenge was brought to the next level when I tried to look for something to eat for dinner. I love tomato and tomato-based sauces and soups. Hmmm.. Ended with a vegetable roll but I had to ask the salesgirl to take out the nuts. This would definitely be a challenging two-week diet to follow!

Then off to a wedding tonight. And what did I see? Delicious food! A choice of either white or red sauce for pasta. Shrimps in tomato sauce. Fish fillet with butter sauce. And lovely looking cakes and desserts with chocolates, cream, and milk. Waaaahhhhh! I couldn't eat those! I satisfied myself with the other food offered (which tasted good!)

At least I can look forward to another wedding in two-weeks time. And by then, I hope I would be allowed to eat these food that I love!

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)