Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Darks clouds

This was the entry I was trying to write yesterday, but then I got distracted because of shoes. Let me continue…

I just heard the sound of thunder, warning me of the imminent arrival of the rain. Unbeknownst to me, the dark clouds began to form, clustering over the business area of the city. Its tentacles moving, ever slowly spreading.

Small droplets of rain are beginning to fall on my window pane.

Yet from a distance, I see the sun shining. Far, far from my building, I see the rolling mountains of Antipolo (I hope I am right). Dazzling, white clouds are dawdling all around them. Such contrast from the gloomy setting of the city.

Way below, I hear blares of horn. It might be the incessant sound from the jeepney of a tired driver, trying to reach his destination. He wants to avoid the traffic that the crowd of protesters will surely bring. Or rather, it might be from vehicles of demonstrators converging along Ayala corner Paseo in order to demand the resignation of the head of the land.

Are the clouds crying? Is heaven mourning with us as it witnesses the tug-of-war between the leaders of the country? Does it commiserate with us knowing that dissensions can bring about the downfall of the rule of law? When will we learn? When will the people have enough of the political turmoil? When will everyone kneel and entreat the Power Above to intervene and end all the sufferings?

As I look at those lovely clouds, high above the mountains, I wish in my heart that it foretells the future of my homeland. That one day, our countrymen will wake up to a bright clear morning, without the downgrades of credit ratings, without the resignations of government officials, without political bickerings, without the endless protests led by politicians with self interests.

But the dark clouds appear to be deliberately reaching out, blackening out even that small window of light. I can no longer see the mountains or the bright clouds. And all I can do right now is hope. And pray. For I know that beyond the rain, there can appear a rainbow. I just need to look for it.

1 comment:

Beng said...

So this is what you were talking about yesterday. Yes, Jen, maybe the heavens cried with us. But this is not yet the end. The rainbow is there. It will be there. We just have to believe it.

Great entry.

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)