Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Humbling images

I knew that it is not as clear as crystal. Otherwise I wouldn’t have taken part of a class and learned from the expert.

I knew that it requires a new way of looking at things. Otherwise I would have just settled by fixing my eyes on books and become trigger happy until I produced something majestic. Simpler, it might be. If I had the time, that is.

But it was not as simple as pointing your camera and just shooting whatever image you want to capture.



It is not just point, shoot and voila!

It needs the eye, the hand and most of all the mind.

Terms such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO became comprehensible. But new photo words came into the picture. Focal length, white balance, depth of field, exposure settings as well as compensation, metering patterns, bracketing technique, etc.

There are rules that must be broken and new rules to go after : rule of thirds, 30/60, bird and worm’s eyeview, dynamic balance, center of interest, etc.

Then regard always the elements of design : texture, shape, color and line. These are just the major ones. There are others to consider.

Bear all this in mind : , make sure that you are correctly framing the image, with the correct shutter speed, aperture opening, exposure, do not forget the rule of thirds, nor the point of interest which must be the sharpest amongst all the images, and try to imagine how it will look like, then shoot. But wait.! Keep your hand on the shutter button! You might need to keep the shutter open, so that there will be a trail effect of light.

Then again, after all the learning, there is still the application

Sent to capture pictures of the world but with certain objectives to subscribe to.



I went out. Took images. Applied what my mind was able to retain in such a short time of training. Came back and presented what I had seen. I succeeded in getting some but miserably failed in others.

15 hours are not enough.

Skills learned are meant to be practiced and perfected.

Now everywhere I go, wherever I look, I try to envision what could an object look like from a certain angle. I reflect on how should I be standing atop a building or even lying along the street just to illustrate something unique about the image.



It is not easy.

It is humbling.

The challenge has not ended. I still need to leave my old mindset. Open my eyes and see the possibilities.

Disclaimer : All photos are the attempts of an amateur photographer. Please keep to yourself all negative comments. :- )

4 comments:

Drifter said...

Hahaha! Love the disclaimer.

Anonymous said...

:- ) para sure :- )

Gypsy said...

I love ur photos, you have a real gift.:)Looking forward to more creative and interesting photos...

Anonymous said...

Hey gypsy! Thanks! :- ) i love taking pictures! How i wish that everytime I take one, the result would be spectacular. - jen

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)