Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Confusing culture

A few days after I started working in a foreign institution, a colleague passed by my office, smiled and winked at me. Boy, was I surprised. Why was he winking at me? Is he trying to convey a romantic interest in me?

In turn, I smiled and raised my brow to signify my hello. Later on a fellow local warned me. In the culture of my foreign colleague, the actions that I did meant that I was trying to pick him up. And the winking that he did? It was just a way to say hello.

Cultural differences.

And then just tonight, a girl I met told me that in her beloved country Bulgaria, to say yes, you turn you head from left to right and to say no, you nod your head. Talk about confusion. No wonder she lost some clients when she went to the States. When asked if she offers the products they were looking for, the answer was always a no!

In Portugal, you greet people by kissing them on the cheeks three times. Normally for the French, you just kiss the cheeks twice. And of course, for us Pinoy, it varies but in general, one kiss on the cheek is enough.

I am pretty sure that I can list down some more when I think about cultural differences. For example, instead of ketchup, use vinegar as a dip for French fries.

Still, I love meeting new people and experiencing new cultures. Variety makes life more interesting. Now, if only I could teach some people that it is in our culture to take a daily bath!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. i also would love to be able to tell my foreigner colleagues that!!!

did you know that in ethiopia, they eat onion like guavas in the philippines? that explains their mala-sibuyas scent :lol: :lol:

Jen said...

yikes... i wouldn't want to be with them inside a closed room... : - )

... if only we have the courage to tell them... but then our "nahihiya" culture is also a hindrance. On the other hand, i wonder how we smell to them? Like chicken? lol....

Anonymous said...

in japan, the women give gifts to men on valentine's day. :-)

Jen said...

i heard nga ate... i think it's white valentine or something... : - ) hehehe... imposibleng mangyari sa atin : -)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)