Saturday, October 20, 2007

Safest place

A blast in Glorietta, a commercial area in Makati, created such uproar. A whole section of the mall got destroyed. 10 people died and around 120 people were injured. A lot of them were just enjoying the Friday lunch-out that has become the practice of many Makati office workers.

Once again, fear seem to have pervaded greater Manila. I hear parents forbidding their kids from going to malls. Many are being sent home straight from school or work. Loved ones in the provinces make frantic calls to their kids in the city. Call centers are doing rollcalls of their employees. The turn-out in a foreign film festival was not quite what was expected. My brother just told me that he feared riding public transportation and going inside other commercial centers.

I can't blame them. I, too, became slightly paranoid. Those 10 people never knew that it would be the day when their lives would end. It could have been one of the people I know. It could have been me. Our office's lunch break (1:00 - 2:30 p.m) exactly falls within the blast time. I could have been walking through the walkway towards National Bookstore. I could have been doing a quick grocery at Landmark's basement. I could have been buying a gift for a godchild, in Glorietta II.

In this chaos though, I am thankful that the lunch-hour was over when it happened. It could have been worse. Good thing, salary was given a few days before. There could have been more people in the casualty list.

Surely, for many more weeks, we would be all moving with slight hesitation and fear. Many would think twice about going to public places. There is always the thought hanging over our heads, wondering if another blast is waiting to happen.

I heard again this certain quotation a week ago, way before this tragedy happened. It is the reminder that we need not worry for it says, the safest place to be is in the center of God's will.

The question now is, are you in the center of God's will?

I know I am. I have peace that surpasses all understanding.

If you are not, I hope you are doing something to make sure that you are.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)