Sunday, October 28, 2007

Uneasy night

I don't ask for much. I just want a quiet night.

I could have watched an interesting movie of Cine Europa at Shangri-la. Or enjoyed Stardust. Another possiblity, to have had dinner with friends.

But I had to go home for I have to work tomorrow. Despite it being declared a special holiday for elections. I am the only one to report for work amongst the locals. A foreign company is coming to meet with local distributors. Since I am the one who arranged everything, it is only rational that I should be there.

So I settled on my folding chair. Read the kit I prepared. Just to make sure that I still remember the details of the meetings as well as review the information about the health sector (as if I would be able to remember them all!). And of course, with the wonderdul wi-fi of my neighbor as well as my own DSL connection, I began to check my mails and blogs, and then, hopping on to other blogsites.

The attacks began. There was just one. Hiayahhhhhhhh! I shrieked. My mom chased and killed it. Then, three suddenly appeared! I had to get out of my room while I edged my mother to ran after them with the not-so-mighty spray. She got one, then the next. But then, another two came!!! I finally realized that they might be coming in from the partially opened wooden wall near my bed (the result of the recent strong rains). I had to refill the spray bottle and let my mom do her thing. I sought shelter from the other room. But there also, two were lurking behind the steel double-deck.

The spray sounds were then replaced by the smashing of a broom against the cement wall. A crunchy sound follows, assuring me that another of their species has just died. It seemed that those little monsters were gone. Finally, I could go back to my blog-hopping.

Nohhhhhhhhhhh!!! Another three came!!!! Nohhhh!!! My mom is downstairs, sanitizing her hands from the accidental spurts of the killing spray. Why are they here???? Either the next door neighbors just did their annual spray or the little monsters felt the arrival of the rain (most likely the latter). But why tonight? Of all nights? When I should be resting!

In my anger, I wielded the mighty broom and killed one, and then another. While my body was covered all over with goosebumps.

Still is... for as I write, I am looking around. I can hear the rustling sounds that their hairy legs and ugly wings make against everything they come in contact with. Only us who are bonafide haters of their kind have this particular talent, the ultrasonic hearing capability. I can feel them looking at me, waiting for the right moment. Waiting for me to close the lights, close my eyes and launch the attack.

This is not going to be an easy night.

Smash! Splat!

I just killed another one.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hehe..funny how certain vermins bring out the inner Jet Lee in us..;) I think it's better that a mouse invasion.

Jen said...

I can't imagine a mouse invasion! Mababaliw ako : -)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)