Monday, April 21, 2008

My sin, your sin, our sins

Human that I am, I can be judgmental. Not verbally, not in actions. But I have to admit that often, I have done it in my heart. 

It was so easy to fall into that trap of thinking that I am better than someone else. No, not regarding talents, not regarding beauty, not regarding skills. But morally. Or is it spiritually?

But the more I experience the grace of God, the more I see my own sinfulness. And thus, I was rebuked and convicted that I, too, am guilty. Even guiltier.

I realized that I have my sins, you have your sins, we all have we are own sins. The hardest part is that I may sin and no one would know about it. People would maintain my goody image but in fact, I may have the blackest heart. We cannot judge another person's actions or appearance. He or she might be struggling with this particular aspect of his/her life and it became the basis of my judgment. It is not the complete picture.

This won't be easy. Refraining from forming impressions about people around me.I have a constant reminder though. We all report back to God. It is only to Him that we need to make an account of our lives. My only role in this is to make sure that when I face Him, I will have an acceptable slate to show Him. And even this, only because of His grace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so hard to be humble. All too often, it's our pride that gets in the way...

Jen said...

it is hard... but i found out that it is easier not to judge .. less stress! :- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)