Friday, April 04, 2008

Sorting

Several times I just wanted to throw everything out. I got tired of sorting, again and again, files, clothes, books, etc. It felt like I have been doing this for so long when in fact, we just started three weeks ago.  But it seemed like we opened a Pandora’s box of stuff and the monster came out, that is, an endless supply of objects to sort out.

 

I can’t help but get surprised time and time again when I see the things that my mother kept. I can’t blame her though. I know that our busy lives hindered her from organizing our material things. Spiritual, emotional, intellectual and relational matters are more important. But it is agonizingly hard choosing which to box in, to give away, to throw out, to maintain on the shelf, etc. This will go on for, I think, another month.

 

But since there is always something to learn from any aspect of our lives, here are some lessons I gleaned from the process of sorting.

 

  1. Keep life simple. Give or throw away things that you don’t need. Better yet, do not buy unnecessary objects. Get only what you will really use.
  2. Clean out your closet and clear out your table at least once a month. Don’t let your stuff pile up. Organizing is easier when it is done slowly.
  3. This is not easy but try to think that the stuff you are sorting is not yours. It is so easy to get so sentimental about a frayed ribbon, an old and faded shirt, worn out shoes, etc.  Replay a constant question, will I miss this after five years?
  4. Don’t maintain a box of “for repairs.” Trust me, you won’t get them repaired. Have them fixed as soon as possible. Otherwise, give it to someone who can repair and use it, either someone you know or a junkshop.

4 comments:

Gypsy said...

What keeps me from accumulating stuff here in the UK is always being reminded that I can only take 20kg home..plus the fact that things are so expensive helps prevent hoarding as well! :)

Abaniko said...

These are helpful tips. But you forgot to mention the "will to sort." I now tiptoe in my room because a lot of stuff are lying on the floor. I don't have the energy to arrange things anymore. But I shall work on my mess one day. Yes, one day....

carlotta1924 said...

nice tips to take to heart. i agree with abaniko, there also should be the will to sort hehe. as for me i still have test papers, notebooks from way back in high school and even brochures, ticket stubs, newspapers from the places i've been to. they're strategically stuffed in... strategic places para di masyadong halata na magulo lol

Jen said...

Hey gypsy... pero i still have a feeling that you have more than 20k :- ) you are a woman... hehehe

oo nga abaniko. I forgot about the will. Truthfully, i am losing the will... hehehe.. i still have a lot of things to sort out... hay.. like right now, i should be doing that but here i am, blogging! hehehe

halu carla! i know what you mean! i also have lots and lots of prepaid cards! hehehe... one day, your stuff will haunt you! nanakot ba?! :- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)