Saturday, August 30, 2008

Memories of Kadayawan Festival in Davao


I knew that I was really in Davao when the strong smell of Durian welcomed me at the arrivals section of the airport. To the uninitiated, the scent of this unique fruit may be overpowering. But to us, it reminds us of the South. 

The Maranao tribe was one of the participants.






And then off to breakfast at Tapps. It is now, officially, one of my favorite breakfast places in the Philippines. Why? Because of its unique design. A never-ending narrow and misshapen table partnered with many stools. To maximize the space. And specifically because of the many choices of combo meals. I chose Tobangsilog.Where else would one find such an interersing name for food? TOcino, BANGus (milkfish), SInangag (fried rice) and itLOG (egg). Moi, who loves variety when eating food, finds this place simple yet heavenly.



The Eagle Center is well-maintained. Surely, it is a learning place. Even the plants all over the place had nametags. The long pathway which guided the visitors to their destination was full of stones with carved names… of sponsors. I saw our famous monkey-eating eagles. I wished that they were flying free but I do understand that they are being bred so that they won’t go extinct. Before leaving, I saw a bird flying high above, with outstretched wings. It was a nice good-bye.




Paradise Resort in Samal island will now be my benchmark for services rendered to guests. The staff was friendly, gave the right instructions and information, and most importantly, courteous. An overnight stay may be a little limiting to judge the place completely but it was enough. Flower petals inside the bathroom bowl, ready slippers, bottles of water, towels, a pail and a dipper (even if there was a working shower available), and an instant connection to the reception once you lift your phone. There were even fresh plastic bags to pack in your wet clothes! The shoreline is constantly being cleaned (really!). The waiters at the restaurant were always ready to take your order. And it is just a 10-minute boat ride from the city! I have to mention that the boats look new and clean. Kudos to the owners and management of this resort. I hope to go back someday. May the service continue to be the same (or even get better).

I missed seeing more than half of the participants in the street dance (Indak-indak sa Kadalanan). But taking hundreds of pictures and mingling with the last few groups of dancers more than made up for that. It was funny that even in Davao, the kids also make a “V” sign when their pictures are being taken.  The colors were striking, beautiful in their brightness, amazing because of the details. Later that afternoon, I saw them dance on television. Remembering that there were many who seemed to be as young as five years old, I couldn’t help but be amazed. I salute Davao for celebrating celebrate the diversity and uniqueness of each ethnic group.




The floral float parade (Pamulak sa Kadayawan) was a mixture of flower floats and the parade of humans in colorful clothes. There was a bit of frenzy over some actors. I got hit by a candy being thrown from a float. A policeman shooed people to the sidewalks but in fact, he was at the center of the road and blocking my view! The most amusing float was the large carabao as led by a man and flogged by another. I include here a few of the lovely flower floats.

I felt unsafe on the roads of Davao City. Only because I felt unsettled by their way of driving. They drive fast and stop suddenly. One never knows which car will go first. Or maybe I just got used to the many stoplights in Manila. I am fairly certain that DavaoƱes follow a certain rule that I do not understand. Other than that, I felt right at home. The people were helpful. The streets were clean. Big billboards dotted the roadside. It is a city that is homey. And the fruits. They literally flooded the streets.


What really hit me about Davao is the number of coffee places I saw. I am probably wrong about this but it seemed like there is one in every two streets I passed. Take into consideration that there are no international brands and thus be amazed about the choices of coffee places one has. I only visited two but their uniqueness makes them stand out. The two-floor building of BlueGre within Matina Town Square was modern yet makes one feel at home. Unfortunately, it was too dark to take its picture. What is is famous for? Durian coffee! Ever heard of such? I think only Davao offers this variety. Bits of durian come into your mouth with every sip of the hot coffee topped with whipped cream. Surprisingly, the slightly bitter taste of coffee mixed well with the unique taste of durian.






Not too many foods embrace a cause. Then learn from the Coffee for Peace, a charming coffee shop with a heart. It provides you with a healthy supply of caffeine while assuring your of fair trade, protection of the environment and the promotion of peace. While there, I couldn’t help but try their most expensive coffee. But it was cheaper than its counterpart in Manila (double or triple the price). Yeah, I tried Jack Nicholson's expensive coffee in the movie "Bucket List." The famous coffee that passes through a civet’s behind (or Kopi Luwak or Alamid locally). What I liked about it? It left no bitter after taste and it was cool to my throat. Did I mention that there is free wifi almost everywhere? Heavenly.

Davao deserves another visit. I know that there are many more places to discover and foods to savor.



No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)