Friday, November 04, 2005

Filipinos in Paris

In some ways, it felt like I did not leave Manila. Only because I was welcomed by several Filipinas on my first week-end in Paris. Two, I already know quite well since we were former classmates in Business French. The others I've heard of. In many ways, it was home away from home.

During my entire stay in Paris, I met other Filipinos. A friend from a previous job. The colleague of a former French client. Friends of friends. Riding the metro or walking around, I cannot help but notice faces that seem to be so familiar to me. They have the imprint of the Filipino blood in them.

I learned that there are around 25,000 Filipinos working in Paris alone. Sadly, many do not have the official papers to work there. I listened to their stories. Mostly bitter-sweet ones because they are away from their family.

They work hard. And they earn a lot. Start early and often finish late into the night. They get extra work during weekends or weeknights when there are special events.

They say that they are better off here compared to others who are in the Middle East or even the United States. Here, they get a lot of help from the government. They get medical aid, insurance and they are assured that their rights are respected. They get to send money to their families back home. Buy properties, build houses, send their children to school.

But those pleasing tales are laced with tears, loneliness and estrangement. One, who can't go home, hasn't seen her son for the last five years. Another gets to see her daughter only for one month of each year, the only time she can go home, for the last 17 years. One mother prefers not to go home because her husband just uses her children to get money from her. Many, I believe went there to earn some money and then became trapped with the feeling of security ub earning a lot of money.

They shared life stories of other Filipinos, many I could no longer rememeber. What struck me though is that they were all willing to bear so many sufferings in order to earn enough money.

I ask myself : am I willing to do the same? To be away from my family to earn money? Am I ready to pay the price of not knowing my children or fear the possibility of a husband that will betray me?

In my mind today, I could say that I would rather live a simple life together with my family than be far from them to earn a lot of money. But then, I do not know what they are really going through. Maybe I would do the same. Maybe not. Hard to say.

My prayer though is that I need not do the same in order to provide for my future family. God is gracious. He would provide.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)