Saturday, March 24, 2007

My encouragement

A chubby, dark skinned young boy. Now a talented slim young man out to conquer the world with his talents.

A very skinny boy, quite tall for his age. Known for his naughty antics and jokes. Now pursuing information technology and becoming an expert in lighting and sounds.

A broody, silent young lad. Now a confident young man pursuing a career to help heal people.

A chinky, cute young woman. Now called to minister to young people while carrying on with her profession in dentistry.

A young girl who made me an accountability partner in her pursuit of purity. Right now, she is a student of arts and very much excelling.

I remember each one them. I remember that in little ways, I ministered to them. I do not know if they remember me. Maybe just a little. Maybe they do not.

I often wonder. Especially at times when I think that whatever I have done and am still doing seems futile.

But then, I get assured that all I have done for God will not be in vain.

When I see that young lad jump for joy as he sings worship songs. When I marvel on how the self-assured young man lead a meeting with people older than he. When I see that young lady remain to her desire to be pure. When I see the still lean young man raise his arms in praise songs and cry out unabashedly to his Lord. When I see that young woman with a disciple of her own.

I got reminded also that many years ago, I did think that I ministered to them. Yet, in reality, they also ministered to me to. They were the ones who prompted me to remain true to the cause. I never wanted to be a counterfeit example. I want to be genuine to the core.

There are many years yet to come. Give and take, around 50 years or so.

If only I could make a difference in one, just one life, for each of those 50 years, I would count myself blessed.

3 comments:

Beng said...

Our labor in the Lord is not in vain. :) I'm not surprised you have made a difference in these people's lives. You are one selfless person.
God honors the noble desires of our hearts. I'm sure He will honor yours. :) Keep on doing good, Jen.

Swipe said...

I've always wanted to do something like that but I don't think I have the patience for it. I admire your patience and dedication to those kids. I pray that you have the fortitude to continue doing God's good work.

Jen said...

Thanks Beng. As I mentioned, as I encouraged them, I get encouraged too. In many ways, they help me survive. It makes life worth living. :- )

Hey Swipe! Thanks for the prayers. I need a lot of those. I have moments that I run out of patience and sometimes dedication is not enough. But one kid at a time makes it easier. :- ) You should try it. Sort of like a medicine to the soul. :- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)