Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Holydays

There are days that I want to have silence. Pure unadulterated silence. Or even hear music without the blaring horns of vehicles, loud barking of dogs, and the incessant chattering voices of neighbours. Even of families and friends. It was a clear indication that I needed peace and quiet. Even for just a day.

I want, no, I need peace and quiet. For me to focus when I talk to my Maker. For me to remain sane.

So I took advantage of Good Friday. Moi and three other girlfriends. We went up the mountain of prayers (for those who don’t know, it’s a sort of retreat house in Antipolo called Touch of Glory). Considering that it was a holiday, we were caught in the traffic. Our driver erroneously followed the route of jeepneys and thus we travelled behind the walking crowd to Antipolo church. Not a good decision. Yet, it was just the right adventure for the day.

We arrived at around ten in the morning. And took our separate ways. There were two options : stay inside prayer rooms or sit against prayer huts. I opted for the former. To remain within the walls of a 1 x 1 meter room could be confining. But for those like me who are bombarded with information each day, it would be blissful. A room with no frills. With wooden floors that require visitors to remain barefoot. A small lamp attached to the wall provides the lighting. The smallest fan to make the room cool. A tiny square seat is paired to a simple desk-like ledge fastened to the wall. Plus a red cushion. A simple yet functional room.

In such a room, I had a few hours of respite from the concerns of life (well, except for around half an hour that I spent eating my lunch… I still need that!!!).

Just read some. Contemplated some more. Listened to music with no distractions. Savoured the moment.

That place became a small slice of heaven. Thank God for holidays.

2 comments:

Swipe said...

Somehow, I envy the way you spent the holidays. oh well.

Gypsy said...

Hey Jen, I went there some years back, part of a course of spirituality I took at ABS...to my shame I contemplated half and fell asleep..*blush*..am better at contemplation these days. :)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)