Saturday, April 21, 2007

Explaining my lion chase

I may sound crazy for saying again and again that I want to chase the lion. A friend aptly asked me why do I want to do so. Let me explain.

I stumbled into a blogsite ...www.evotional.com. In there, Mark Batterson spoke about the book he wrote: In a pit with a Lion on a snowy day. What’s the big deal about the lion?

Let me quote here the basis for his book, found in 2 Samuel 23:20-21:

There was also Benaiah, son of Jehoida, a valiant warrior from Kabzeel. He did many heroic deeds, which included killing two of Moab’s mightiest warriors. Another time he chased a lion down into a pit. Then, despite the snow and slippery ground, he caught the lion and killed it. Another time, armed only with a club, he killed a great Egyptian warrior who was armed with a s pear. Benaiah wrenched the spear from the Egyptian and killed him with it.

The author took these seemingly unremarkable verses and opened my eyes.

And I paraphrase some of his ideas in the book:

Who in his right mind would chase a lion? Who would have the courage to fight against an animal that is a thousand times heavier, quicker in movement, with eyes that are meant to see in the dark, with a ferocious nature that makes it a carnivore? Why fight with a lion during winter which makes it more hungry than ever?

I wouldn’t. I would be too afraid.

But the main character did defeat the lion. And later on he led King David’s army.

What can we learn from Benaiah, the lion chaser? Mark Batterson discusses seven of them: defying odds, facing fears, reframing problems, embracing uncertainty, taking risks, seizing opportunities and looking foolish

I am only in the second chapter. (Yep, I had to get hold of a copy. Thanks to a dear friend, Beng - www.msbeng.blogspot.com - who bought it for me in the States). And I am learning.

If my God is bigger than anything, then I need not fear anything. If He has planned everything in my life, I can face all odds with courage. If I am willing to bet all my faith in Him, then I can defeat my lions. Little lions. Big lions.

I watched Dead Poets’ Society so many years ago. I have tried to claim their battlecry as my own. Seize the day. Though I prefer it in my own language : Angkinin ang araw. But I am declaring another call. Something I know that will give me more valor.

I borrow from the book again. It is a worthy call.

Carpe Christ.

2 comments:

Beng said...

So chasing the lions talaga ang battlecry natin ngayon? Good for you. As for me, I gotta go search for my own lions. It's been a long time since I was challenged to do something brave. Magdrive kaya ako ulit? hehe. Nah.
So when will you chase the kitchen lion and cook? I'll help you tame this lion. :)

Jen said...

sige, drive ka ulit beng. Then turuan mo ako : -) i think i can easily tame the kitchen lion... time to spend with this kind of lion is kinda hard to find though. Thanks for the offer though. Really appreciate it. One of these days ... ;- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)