Monday, April 16, 2007

Take the courage

A grinding sound for ten seconds and all was black. Every step was described to me. I was oriented. But for a moment or two I did panic. Did I make the right decision? According to the marketing staff, so far they had a 100% success rate. I do know that there are exceptions. I might very well be the first case.

I kept on looking at the pulsating red light. Concentrate. Focus on the dot. There were times that it became a hoola-hoop of a yellow light. Then I heard a chugging sound. They said it lasted for eight seconds.

Everything for 30 minutes. And then I had to wait for another 30. And then I go home.

I did notice that something is different. But I will not realize the full impact until the next day. For then, I will dare to open my eyes completely. And see the world as it is.

- - -

Long hair, oval face, high cheekbones, and olive shaped eyes. These features I should know by now. I see them everyday. They are mine. But yesterday morning, I seemed to have seen myself for the very first time. The lines are clear. My countenance was defined. No wonder I was not interested in staying in front of the mirror. I got used to seeing the fuzzy me. I just make sure that my clothes do not make me look abnormal and that’s it. But yesterday, I appreciated the fact that I see back the image. Completely.

- - -

A box labeled with “Food Container.” A saleslady arranging the baby products. Two guys talking seriously. One was in white the other in yellow. Where do I see them from? The box was atop the cabinet, 3 meters away from me. I was sitting 10 meters away from the saleslady. And the guys? They were at the ground floor. I am looking from the fourth floor of Megamall.

Seems to be commonplace images. But not for someone who has been nearsighted all her life. I only see a fuzzy starfish when I snorkel. A blurred image of a wonderful view when my glasses become fogged.

- - -

I wouldn’t have believed it three months ago that I would go through the knife (more of a can opener, to be more precise). But God opened doors. Literally. A new medical clinic opened in Megamall. A spur-of-the-moment yet God ordained visit to a kind doctor brought about this possibility of enjoying the visual world.

I just needed to take the big step. To have the courage to say yes. To chase the lion and face my fear. And to win. I want to enjoy the colors of the sea. I want to take pictures and not be hindered by fragile glasses. I want to see the world and for the world to see me. Without the barriers that eye glasses generate.

Carper Diem. Seize the day. Angkinin ang araw.

Chase the Lion.

- - -

I will shamelessly plug the wonderful LASIK services of my doctor : Dr. Lee Verzosa of DLS-STI at Megamall. He also has a clinic in St. Luke's.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Wow, Jen!! Congrats! Now that is courage with a capital "C!" I may be as blind as you were. But I am a coward with a capital "C." Hehe.

swimmingjega said...

the world is beautiful! :- ) i guess, we have different ways of expressing our courage... i don't have your kind of courage - - - travelling the world on your own...

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)