Thursday, November 15, 2007

Omnium-Gatherum (Random Thoughts 4)

I have been feeling it in the air for the last three days. It was the kind of coolness that only this particular season brings. It was refreshing, creeping on your skin into your bones. I tried not to notice it. Acknowledging its presence meant that the year would soon be over. It makes more real the fact that time does fly so fast.

But the rain today made it more pronounced. It made the coolness colder. I had to wear a jacket all day.

It was icy cold. I had to accept the reality: The Christmas season has arrived.

- - -

I grew up reading European literature, dominated by English writers. Amongst my favorites were Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens, and Shakespeare. I loved what I read.

I never dreamt though that one day I would be able to go see places that I have seen only in my books. Get a glimpse of the Buckingham and Kensington Palaces, even just from the outside. Visit Bloomsbury, Hyde Park, Covent Garden. Maybe watch Les Miserables or the Phantom of the Opera. Walk along the river Thames.

I wish I could see ladies, with their pretty dresses, and gentlemen with canes, promenading or alighting from their carriages. But then, that was in another era.

I will be there in three weeks time. I do not know what to expect. I only hope to have the best possible week in a world I have seen only in print.

= = =

I dared not dream to be where I am now working. It seemed unreachable. I knew my capabilities and skills. Thus, I recognized the impossibility. I had unpleasant experiences with their people. Thus, I was averse to working with them again. Two reasons which are sufficient to create a great barrier.

But I have become aware of why I was brought to where I am now. To help some sisters find their way.

1 comment:

Abaniko said...

Off to Europe you are again. Hey, enjoy your stay there. Time to use your French. :)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)