Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Distinctive experiences

I will understand if no one reads this. It is too long. But once again, this is for me. To remember…

It was the first time for me to:

- Enjoy various kinds of foods. From tapas (Cuba), to pate flambé (Strasbourg), Pad Char Goong (Thailand), fish and chips (UK), Gyoza (Chinese), couscous royale (Turkey), salmon teriyaki (Korean), Chicken curry (Indian), berries (European), pizza provencal and croissants (Paris), sinigang and adobo (Philippines), etc. Truly international.

- See new places and buildings. In Strasbourg, the various European Institutions, Petite France and German districts, the Vauban dam, Ponts couverts (covered bridge), the Cathedrale, etc. I especially enjoyed walking along the river Ille. And seeing the moving bridge. In London, I loved the view of and from the Tower Bridge. My favorite part was walking along the Thames river. It was lovely seeing all the scenery and structures. And to feel safe.

In France: (Strasbourg & Paris)

- Take, on my own, a long trip on the urban train network in Paris. Called the RER, I took the line C in order to reach Champs de Mars. It was the nearest station to reach a friend’s house. The metro station was under construction. Either I brave the RER or get lost walking. I chose the former. I was thankful for the young lady who answered my questions and directed me to the right train.

- Experience that even to only take a metro ride, some people dare to break the law. At Picpus station, a black guy was standing. He waited as I went out and then he entered through the exit door. At the Gare de l’Est, a black girl asked if she could enter the metro with me. I’ve seen this before, 2 persons go in by just using one metro ticket. I said I am not sure if I am going in and then proceeded to the other door (the correct entrance for my train). I heard her cursing.

- Feel so nervous in France. While eating our Chinese take-out and enjoying the Christmas tree at a plaza in Strasbourg, my friend and I were accosted by three French guys. We saw them too late as they aggressively headed our way and demanded if we speak French. We remained silent and quickly fled. We heard them making noises that sounded like Chinese. They thought we were Chinese. Thank God, nothing bad happened. One of the reasons why I don’ feel safe in France.

- Drink hot wine. It was very effective in warming my frozen hands.

- Ask three little girls for direction and thus took the long way to arrive at my destination. It was at this time that I found myself walking behind a homeless guy. And fervently praying that nothing bad would happen to me.

- Meet an Indonesian girl. She was seated beside me at Hillsong Paris. She was doing the European tour. Thank God I was not alone when I headed back towards the metro. She knew the correct and shorter way.

In London:

- Try the fish and chips of the English. I loved the taste of codfish. I liked the chips (these are in fact, potatoes, much like the French fries but bigger).

- Wear three tops and two pants. Plus a coat, a scarf, head covering ang gloves. There as a time I was wearing two sets of socks. It was really cold. Especially when it became to windy.

- Be at the front seats of the Upper Circle of Queen's Theater. To enjoy the live performance of Les Miserables. To finally see what was happening when there was only music playing (from the CD/tapes). Got around 40% off the ticket price. Just buy it on the same day of the showing. Finally was able to see it live! Wonderful voices! I cried when Eponine and Jean Valjean died.

- Drink a shot of chocolate. Totally delicious and intoxicating.

- Win in a raffle but unfortunately I could not take home the prize. It wouldn't have fit inside my bag.

- Be surrounded by birds and swans. They won’t even budge an inch when they are approached by a human. This was at the Kensington Gardens.

- Almost touch a squirrel. I think it was so hungry that it decided to accept Skyflakes. Or maybe, Filipino food was just too tempting.

- Run after a bus because we were at the wrong side of the street. For that matter, it was my first time to ride in a right-hand drive car or to read the sign on the road before I cross the street!

- Get dizzy while looking for the Post Office. It was my first time to mail a letter in London. A good lady lent us her scotch tape and scissors (to reinforce the packaging).

- Ride in front of the second level of a bus. Bus drivers can earn around 500 pounds a week plus overtime pay. Tempting. But wouldn’t it make you crazy to drive around all day following the same route?

- Eat inside a pub. Food in there is cheaper, I learned. Choose your seat, order at the bar, pay your bill. Sit down and wait for your food. Then eat.

- Be in an English speaking city yet to feel like I am in a foreign land. It was hard to eavesdrop. British English is harder than French! Leicester is pronounced as Lester. Same rule for Gloucester. Thames river is in fact pronounced as “Tems.” I already forgot the pronunciation of the words that my host taught me!

- See what used to be the red-light district. Soho. It is now a posh hang-out place, especially for artists (I hope I understood Malu’s explanation correctly)

- Almost get hit by the hand of a child. On his father’s arms, the boy raised his arm while they were walking down the street. Good thing I saw what was coming and was able to sidestep what could have been painful.

- Get my very own Oyster Card. I heard you can keep it forever. Mine is waiting for its next trip back to London.

- Experience the civil and courteous British. From what I have seen so far, they are a helpful lot.

There are so many other things but I couldn't very write them all here. This is just for me... lest I forget.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)