Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ordeals of traveling

I am back in Manila. Back to reality. But in order for me to remember the last 16 days, I have to write about them. So bear with me. For this entry, let me share my experiences with the different modes of transportation I took. This is going to be long.

Hell. That was the only word I could think of as I waited for 13 hours in Hongkong. KLM issued my e-ticket with the wrong schedule. It was only the night before my flight that I find out. My booking experience with KLM for the past two years went well that I trusted the same service would be given me. Too late I found out that my 5:00 pm departure from Manila was moved to an earlier 8:00am flight. Imagine my panic as I finished my packing. I was unable to eat a proper breakfast. I was not able to buy pasalubong (gifts) of food delights for Filipinos in France. So tired, I had to rush to the airport.



All I could think of in HK was that KLM would be the object of my ire upon my return in Manila. Sleepless the night before, I felt so cold despite 3 layers of clothing. It was not possible to rest. Only individual seats connected to one another were available. How could one sleep peacefully while seated? Good thing I had some food with me. But these were not the hot and filling food I could have eaten if I was at home waiting for my correct flight.

My flight to Paris was quite nice. I was seated beside a retired man with his wife. We chatted quite nicely about France, the Philippines, their travels and what I would be doing in Paris. I was able to get some sleep albeit disturbed from time to time by movements of the crew or the person beside me. I could understand his constant turnings. There was not enough leg room to stretch long legs.

I noticed something different though. There was no waiting in line for the use of the toilets. I often encountered this in my other air travels with predominantly Filipino passengers. We tend to brush our teeth after every meal, change clothes, refresh make-up, etc. It was nice not to queue for long. But imagine the smell of a room filled with un-brushed teeth. Sorry to sound disgusting, but for someone like me who has a sensitive sense of smell, it could be trying to be in such a room.

I had to rush again upon my arrival in Paris. I was to catch a TGV bound for Strasbourg. For those unfamiliar, TGV is a train system of France, very famous for being fast. It was my first time to ride this. And what do I like about it? Seats do not face one another. The only other person you can interact with is the person beside you. The gentleman beside me was kind enough to lift my bag to the overhead rack. He could have been the Ethan in my Before Sunset. A pity that it was he who was reading and I dare not ask what it was about.


To go to London, I decided that I’d take the Eurostar. Another new experience since the train goes underwater and through the English Channel. The seating arrangement this time was that four people would be facing each other. Good thing we all went to sleep during the trip (except for moments when I would look outside the window to see the changing view.



The station in London was newly opened. St. Pancras looks beautiful. Especially with the sculpture of a couple sealing their reunion with a kiss.







The London metro (or what they call as Tube) seemed a bit more complicated. I already mastered the Paris metro system which designates the each line with just a number (there are 14 lines). The London Tube calls each line with a specific name (Central, Embankment, Central, etc.). But I did get the hang of it as I traveled more each day.

The railways from outside and to London were much like the RER in Paris. One has to check if it will pass your chosen destination. There are express trains that only stop at specific stations.



What I love about the transportation in Paris and London is that one can buy ride-all-you-can tickets (Carte Orange for Paris and Travel Card or Oyster for London).

From London to Amsterdam, I was on an aisle seat right by the emergency exit. Great leg room but one needs to be ready in case of emergency. It was a quick flight. Obvious because only chips and juice were given as snacks. Long flights require full meals.

The connecting flight from Amsterdam to Manila was quite full. It was the hub of KLM and thus most of European flights converge here to go to other destinations. I noticed there were lots of Filipinas married to foreigners, towing little kids with them. It hit me that it was in fact already December and thus, many Filipinos are coming home for the festive Christmas season that only our country can provide.

Babies and little kids were crying all night. But that was not the reason I went almost sleepless throughout the flight. Some things that were happening in Manila and what I have seen in Paris and London were troubling me. Questions that I need to ask myself but not willing to face. Answers that I find hard to give. Thoughts swirled in my mind as I attempted to see where all these are heading. There were resolutions I decided I have to make.

Those thoughts were still in my mind as I took my taxi ride for home. Passing through the shanties near the airport, I realized that I am now back to where I am supposed to be. For now.

PS.

I just got a call today from the airline. They owned up to their mistake and apologized. I showed no fury for I acknowledge the fact that humans err. But for that hell of waiting, I am demanding for just compensation. I still do not know if anything would be given. But hey, I did try!

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hi Jen, I do hope you get compensated by KLM...especially as you fly with them a lot!! Hope whatever is troubling you gets worked out soon. :)

Anonymous said...

i did get compensated :- ) in miles... am troubled intellectually... some things that I want to understand :-) thanks! - jen

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)