Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cleansing from within and without

I spent my holy week in an unusual way. When I worked in a back-office so many years ago, I always found myself working during the holidays. And when I started with my current job, I got involved with a group of professionals who spend a week of their time by providing free medical and dental (and optical) services to needy churches (plus the community around it) and sharing the love of our Saviour through film showing. This year, we did this for a day. And then after that, I spent two whole days cleaning out ten-years of our lives.

It was not easy. Dust had accumulated. Rodents had eaten certain boxes. My favorite pest, the cockroach, left its trail everywhere. And harder still, was the decision-making. How do you throw away a part of your and your family's history? How do you decide which mementos to throw away and which ones to keep? How do you know when it is time to let go of something that is already past? 

There are things we have to do even if we don't want to. 

As I cleaned out that which is material, something else was being cleansed. I was forced to remember that we need to throw out things that we keep within. Like hurts, grudges, slights, jealousy, pride, envy, anger, and so many more. I mentioned it recently to my mother: there is no use crying over spilt milk. The past is gone. Gone is the past. The important thing to do is to confront the now and do our best to bring God the glory. In all our ways. Always.

I know it will not be easy. I had a hard time cleaning objects but I know that it is more difficult to exorcise the demons that haunt us. I thank God thought that He enables us to be stronger. And to be victorious.

May I always be capable of cleaning out the things from within and without!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Show me your junk and I'll show you mine... I've got tons of them, and not just the material things.

Jen said...

I know what you mean! :- ) buti na lang we can purge out things in our lives! :- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)