Sunday, March 09, 2008

Pinay in action, Jesus in action



My interest was piqued when I heard from Ate Shawie three days ago about an upcoming marathon. She was encouraging me to join. I dilly-dallied for a few minutes. But the program title on the application form clinched my assent. "Pinay in action." A very inspiring theme.

I have learned to love my country and my citizenship. I was placed by God in a country besieged by hardships and challenges. Yet, I celebrate my being a Pinay (Filipina) for I am who I am today because of my country's history, heritage, people, language, etc. True, the world outside also helped shape the person within me but the very core of me is Filipino. I joined because I was excited to run for a theme celebrating who I am.

I am a Pinay in action. And proud to be one!

But something else made me run. I ran to celebrate the moving of Jesus in my life. I ran for the exhilaration of being able to run. I ran for I have two feet that can run.

It was ten years ago last January that metal rods were removed from my leg and replaced with a stark neon green cast. What was more significant was the announcement from my doctor that my bones were beginning to heal. And thus, the horrible threat that it would be severed was removed. Later on, the cast was replaced with a cane, then with protective boots. And always, always walking, never running.

Later on, I discovered the joy of going to the gym. And as the years went by, I slowly gained speed as I ran on a treadmill. From strolling, to a brisk walk, to a slow run. It would be too long and too complicated to complete the story, but the healing of my bone took longer than usual. It was only recently that the doctor confirmed that my leg bone is now fine.

Gingerly, I ran the 1.6k together with my two girlfriends (We ran with our wrists joined together by a garter). I was terrified of tripping over someone’s leg. I was afraid that a person might accidentally strike my “wounded” leg. But thank God for His protection. Praise God that I was able to freely run for the first time. I am grateful for the exhilaration of reaching the finish line.

It never crossed my mind when I finished my faith goal list last month that the first one I would be able to accomplish was the marathon I wrote. I have to remember that it is, in fact, a faith list.

And so I ran for I believe I am a Pinay in action. And more importantly, I ran for Jesus was and is in action in my life.

5 comments:

Gypsy said...

Oh, wow! Congrats on the run! I haven't gone on a run in ages, sana we can do it together when there's another event like this pagbalik ko. Nice to see your blog color matches my blog and luggage..hehe.

vernaloo said...

Thanks for sharing this Jen. It's very inspiring.

Anyway I like to join something like this also in the future. Of course I don't know if I can do it but I think it would be fun :)

Cheers!

Jen said...

hey gals! thank you for your messages. Let us do this one of these days ... marami pang marathon opportunities though normally ay 5k .. so we need to prepare : - )

Anonymous said...

very inspiring nga, thanks!

i ran a 5k once. isa ko sa dalawang kulelat. as in sinusundan na kami nung sweeper na ambulansya at kinakantyawan na sumakay na raw kami. naglalakad na lang kami by that time kasi pagod na, he he... haaay i really should exercise more

Jen said...

hi rina! i am hoping that i will get the chance to run 5k... kelangan nga ng maraming exercise : -)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)