Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gifts of grace meme

 Grace. A word imbued with elegance and mercy. Christ gave it to us and thus, it is only right that as His followers, we do the same to others. But what about looking at how other people have been gifting us with grace? 

 

Learn it from the third book of Grace Chong’s series Gifts of Grace. It was launched last night at Marajo Tower (Fort Bonifacio Global City). I left the event encouraged and thankful for the gifts of grace in my life. Carrying home the bookmarks with the words “You are my gift of grace,” I was determined to give them to someone whose life has touched mine.

 

Let me share a short story. I met Madame Cecilia in my French 30 class. She already encouraged me then with her discipline to come to school everyday and her patience to teach. For walking is not easy for her. Stricken with polio, her legs are supported by metal braces and her hand holds on to a cane for support. I later realized that she didn’t need to work. Her family is quite well-off. But she chose to teach in public university.

 

I met her again when I went back to school. We somehow share a similar experience (I had to learn how to walk again) and thus we were able to talk about serious stuff despite our busy schedules and educational demands.  Often, she would gloss over her many trials (including two falling accidents that left her on a wheelchair for a time). Later I understood. It was her great faith in a God who works mysteriously yet purposely. Her greatest gift of grace to me so far is her willingness to work with me as I tried to finish graduation requirements. She patiently read and corrected the long documents I submitted. I knew that there was nothing in it for her. She was about to retire. But again, she chose to help and guide me.

 

So today, together with the first book from the series, I gave her the bookmark. I just wanted her to know that her life has touched mine.

 

I dare to start this tag. (Ate Grace Chong, I hope it’s okay with you!) so that we can celebrate the gifts of grace in our lives. The rules?

 

1. Put the logo in your blog.

2. Share a short story of someone whose life touched yours.

3. Add a link to the person who shared it with you. 

4, Tag at least 3 other persons with blogs. 

5. Leave a message on their blogs. 

 

1. Beng 2. Gina 3. Abaniko 4. CJ 5. Jojie 6. Ptr. Jessie

4 comments:

Gypsy said...

Thanks Jen, appreciate this tag. I am sorry I wasn't able to go to the event but glad you enjoyed it! Now let me think....hmmm...

Grace D. Chong said...

Jen, this is a wonderful idea! Mind? I appreciate it--immensely. I hope many more people will tell their stories of grace on cyberspace. God bless you more!

Abaniko said...

Hey, I know the French professor you're talking about. She was also my French teacher one summer. Her passion for teaching and life is contagious. And I also learned she goes to school in her chauffeur-driven Mercedez Benz. I agree with you. Madame Cecilia is indeed an inspiration.

Grace D. Chong said...

Dear Jen,

Is there any way I can reach that French profesor of yours? I have a project and she would certainly be perfect for it. I would like to interview her.

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)