Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 20: Liking

There was a time that I thought that knowing God should mean that I have to like everyone. And that everyone should like me. Or at least not dislike me. But as I experience more of life, I realize that it is not possible. There would always people I don’t and can’t like. Not because I am being mean, but it’s just that people come in various shapes and sizes. Introvert and extrovert, serious and hilarious, patient and impatient. Some go for dark chocolate, others for white. Some find cells interesting, others like climbing mountains or prefer investments and wooden objects. Some find peace in nature, others get recharged from watching films. Others hate exercising, while some are health-buffs. Some people exude serene souls and it’s so wonderful to talk to them. Others take the energy out of you and you need some space before you see them again.

Yes, I am learning not to have to like everyone. I don’t have to apologize for it. It’s just the way it is.

And I don’t have to try so hard to make everyone like me. To some I am boring, to others I am interesting. To some I am adventurous, to others I am not adventurous enough. I may be intelligent to some but to others I am a dimwit. To some I am very serious, to others I can be naughty and hilarious.

I have learned that people can’t always like me and I can’t always like everyone. And of course, it doesn’t mean that I should be unkind. I know that I still have to exhibit the love of God. This is what makes life a little more interesting and challenging!

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)