Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Omnium-Gatherum (Random Thoughts 11)

The tightening of my pants is a witness to what I have doing in the past few weeks. Eating a lot! Since I did not spend Christmas last year here in Manila, I’ve almost forgotten how we Filipinos celebrate this wonderful season. Though my friends can’t and won’t believe me, it is true. I’ve gained some weight because of the too many pastas, chicken, chocolates, cakes, ice cream, sweet desserts and drinks that I have taken in. I plan to continue doing this in the next 3 or 4 days and then, back to normal fare. And I hope to lose all those weight I gained!

= = =

It was quite difficult to choose gifts this year. Busy schedule, Full-packed malls. Hundreds of choices. And well, limited budget too. And so, some friends I met for dinner, my treat. To many, I gave something that is completely practical and useful. To my godchildren, I included an extra item to their actual gifts… a plastic piggy bank (to encourage them to save up!). To some needy children, we gave little books about the love of God (others gave food and fun). And also food, specifically sweet yam. As a side story, I over-ordered and thus, ate a lot of sweet yam for the next five days!

= = =

It feels a bit weird to be in Manila, going to work each day whereas others seemed to be on a holiday already. It was wonderful though to leave home just 30 minutes before the start of the work day (I used to leave two hours before in order to beat the traffic!). It was fun to meet friends almost every night to celebrate, reunite (after a year!) and eat! It was tiring, of course. Especially if you sleep past midnight each night.

= = =

Thankful. That is what I feel. For the Lord’s faithfulness. For the Lord’s presence. I prayed that He would be with me this season. And He is, as He has always been with me.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)