Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My choice

My initial reaction was to burst in anger. How could she? Why put negative meaning to my words? They just mean what they mean! There was no underlying significance, no hidden agenda.

For five minutes I felt like letting my temper get ahead of me. To let my fury get loose (figuratively). But I settled on my chair and looked far into the distance. And thoughts flittered in my mind.

It finally dawned on me that she has always been like this. Seeing too much into anything and everything. Negatively. For so long I listened patiently, trying to understand, making an effort to show her the positive side of life. But I had to stop and distance myself. Otherwise, she would pull me down the abyss. And I don't want to go there. Ever.

So instead of allowing anger to flourish, I decided to gain knowledge from the situation. I, too, have been guilty of the same inclination. I also have the tendency to search too much behind the words and I get hurt or angry. But I have learned not to be like this. Though, of course, this propensity peeks once in a while. And today, I got reminded not to be like that.

I choose to learn from the experience. I cannot do anything about anyone's actions, thoughts or words. But of my own, I have the choice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, jen. thanks for writing this one for me. i've been wanting to say something like this. i had the same experience - maybe worse. and you're right - about one's CHOICE. it's her choice to be like that; while we choose not to be provoked but to show compassion for people like her. see you soon. :-)

vernaloo said...

Hi Jen...

It was a good move that you distance yourself from her. She was emitting negative energies and the thing with negative people is that they want those around them to feel the same way...misery loves company ika nga. You did your best for her...if she chose to stay in the position then you really cannot do anything about that anymore.

Hugs.

Jen said...

Hi ate gina! great to hear from you again. We can always wish that we won't meet people who are like that. Pero I know that we are also being "honed" through them. Sulat ka ulit sa blog mo! Miss you!

hey verns. Thanks for the hug. I need that from time to time. I thank God for giving me the strength to be strong and not be pulled down. Kelan ang kape? :-)

Anonymous said...

hi, jen miss you, too. sana invite nyo ko sa coffee jamming nyo.

updated na blog ko. you're one of the few people who inspires me to write about my boys.:-)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)