Saturday, February 09, 2008

Omniun-Gatherum (Random Thoughts 5)

There are wishes we dare not mention to anyone, not being sure that we truly want them. And so we utter them to the One who knows best. I have one such wish. No one knows it. I dare not even explicitly mention it in my prayers. I am not certain of what the outcome would be.

God seems to be granting the wish. But in a way I did not see. God really works mysteriously.

= = =

My voice is gone. Let me correct myself. I do have a voice but it sounds more like a croak. Unfortunately, it was not the result of a night-long singing at a karaoke bar, nor was it because of too much sweets or ice cream. Nope, it was because of the cigarette smoke which wafted inside our apartment-house. Our barangay just implemented a no-drinking rule outside your own houses. And thus, our neighbor, together with his friends, decided to drink for two succeeding nights on the little porch that our two houses share. And of course, for many, drinking is accompanied by smoking. Fine by me. Not my lungs, not my life. But not when the dreaded smoke goes into our house. Not when I am, in fact, allergic to cigarette smoke. Not when I had to shell out a thousand pesos for antibiotics and a special kind of lozenges.

I am planning to speak to him. I do pray that he will take it kindly. I don't want to have enemies. I just want to breathe normally. I just want my voice back.

= = =

I am thankful that I have the choice to change. Otherwise, what a sad, sad life it would be! Change opinions. Change perspectives. Change personalities. Change friends (yes, it is possible!). Change life. But always, always, always for the better.

= = =

With all the problems besetting our country today, I can't help but wonder when all this would end. I have come to love my country more and more as I grew older and I truly desire to see it out of the grasp of corruption, mediocrity, self-interest, in a word, sin.

I joke around sometimes that, in fact, we are slowly taking over the world by sending to all four-corners of the earth our OFWs. But I have seen families ravaged because of separation, kids who are lost without the guidance of parents, of lives becoming second-class because of financial needs. You get to wonder, how we reached this situation? When will all these end?

Against all hope, I dare to hope that one day, there will rise a leader who will spearhead change because he/she himself has been changed.

7 comments:

vernaloo said...

Amen to that Jen...that is also one of my wishes coz I believe that our country has a lot of potential.

Maybe if that happens...I'll change my mind of working abroad.

Jen said...

hey verns... i still want to stay... :- )

Unknown said...

I enjoin you in prayer for a leader that will rise up and bring this nation to its God-given destiny. Let prayer rise up all throughout this nation!

Jen said...

i agree james. we really need to pray a lot for our country,

Gypsy said...

Uy...misteryosa! Anobayang wish na yan!! Hmm...

Unknown said...

"there will rise a leader who will spearhead change because he/she himself has been changed." - out of the ashes of world war 1 rose a leader who brought not only change but also economic prosperity for his devastated country. The man was Adolf Hitler and the country, Germany.

Let's just hope we don't end up with someone like him...

Hope your voice is back already, Jen. O. kailan ulit ang eb?? :-D

Jen said...

halu gypsy! long time no hear! and nope, it is not about love! :- ) hehehe...

hey snglguy! but Hitler did not change for the better. He became perverted. My voice is back though still a bit hoarse. Thanks for asking. Re sa EB, text away lang kami!

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)