Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A heart-filling night

Tonight, I accompanied a friend to a book reading club. We literally read our own books and remained quiet for a few moments. From time to time, someone reading his Bible would raise a question. I too asked my friend about things crossing my mind as I read the book I took with me tonight. The Renewed Mind of Larry Christenson has been talking to me in the past few days.

What was more touching about the club was that it also ministers to streetchildren around that area. The kids get fed every Monday evening. They are taught about proper hygiene and talking nicely. As I talked to Jamie, a 15-year old girl, I learned that they truly live on the street. At the other side of the table, my friend is talking to Jamie's aunt, who is actually younger in age. She knew how to pray and she has seen the movie Passion of the Christ. I was glad to hear that she has accepted Christ in her life. I asked Jamie to say a few words of thanksgiving to God and finished the rest of the prayer for her. I encouraged her to strive hard in her studies and to continue trusting God. All I can do for her is to lift her life to God and have faith that God will take care of her.

I met some people who are being used by God. One through her music. Another for managing her talent. They would soon go on a journey to a far-away land to minister to others as well as to grow in their faith in God.

All I can say is that I was glad to have spent the night with them. To be in the presence of people who love God and love people around them. To be reminded about the adequate and overflowing provision of God. To be aware that there are people who need our help, physically but more importantly spiritually.

Thank you Lord for a heart-filling nigh.

1 comment:

MelB said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience Jen. Is this something you will do again?

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)