Sunday, May 03, 2009

Moving with dance music

I saw how many others have made the mistake of gliding into many dances, sometimes simultaneously, oftentimes, one after another. It seemed like they have mastered the steps, feeling as if the dance would then be the final one. In reality, the numerous dances took their toll. The missteps and bumps left their mark. It was no longer the harmonious and synchronized dance dreamt and desired.


To my mind, the dancers listened too early to the music of the dance. The world easily fools them when it created different kinds of music. Hearing the sounds and words creates yearnings. Songs which had the tendency to awaken things that could be illusionary when it is not yet the right time to long for them. No wonder they step too early into the dance.


Thus, a few years ago, I made a conscious decision not to listen. I limited myself to songs that spoke of the composer and choreographer. It was my way of surviving. I know that a heart can be taught. Worse, it can be deceived. What the mind thinks, the heart may believe. That whatever you feed your mind can become the content of the heart. To protect myself, to guard my fragile heart, I chose not to listen to songs that the world feeds our soul. Otherwise, I might just swing into a dance that is not meant to be mine.


I asked the great composer and choreographer to help me. He knows the steps, timing, and the best dancers to the music he has written. I only want that single dance. I know it would be worth the wait.


If only we could learn to wait and listen, the composer and choreographer would hum the right music to our dance. The silence would be broken, the faint sound would be heard, and then the melody would resound all around. The melody will be right, the pitch perfect.


The music is now playing. The dance has started.


No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)