Sunday, September 06, 2009

Must watch : Kimmy Dora

Kimmy Dora (Ang Kambal sa Kiyeme)

“I am just a girl, floating in front of a guy, asking him to love her.” Seems like a lame line considering that it was originally from the Notting Hill movie but not when it is delivered by Eugene Domingo. I don’t think I would ever forget this line. Or the movie-long laughter I had as I watched the movie featuring the main character’s awesome talent. Everyone would probably say that I have been living under a stone, but yeah, I was. I might be the only Filipino in Metro Manila who doesn’t know her. My defense? I haven’t watched TV for the last two years.


Who is she? Why is her name a guy’s name? Such inane questions because it doesn’t matter. I truly had fun. And the hundreds of moviegoers with me last Saturday. Everyone laughed.


So what did I like about it? The humor was just right.


And you get a great deal. Imagine, double the talent of Eugene Domingo! You get her as the “abrasive” but competent Kimmy and her twin, the “simple” yet tender-hearted Dora. I am no expert in Filipino comedy movies but the punch lines were delivered just right. Though it was not a GP movie, it seemed like nothing in it could be described as too distasteful. It was just right. Of course, there were irrational scenes, bordering on the fantastic but I think they were made to make a point about the level of emotion of an actor.

My friend rightfully pointed out that there were certain actions that were not consistent with the original personality of a character but she also said that we have to remember that this is a comedy movie. And I completely agree. I think it meant to show the talent of Eugene and in this, it was successful. To be able to shift from one character to the other is truly amazing. Just disregard the unnecessary.


There were a lot of surprises for me in the movie. Appearances of certain actors and actresses. True, there were formula jokes but one feels a sense of unpredictability with regards to the words and actions of Kimmy and Dora. And I liked that the ending focused on the relationship of the sisters.


So please watch the movie. To support the local industry. To laugh. Or both. Or learn from the unique fashion sense of Kimmy and Dora.

2 comments:

carlotta1924 said...

i hope to watch this movie as well. after seeing eugene domingo as a supporting actress in regine and piolo's movie (i forgot what the title is hehe) adlib in one of the parts that made the couple actually laugh, i was hooked on her already. she has really great talent :D

Jen said...

carla, did you watch na? so what do you think? funny, di ba? :)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)