Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Celebrating my friends


I am now a year older. I just ended a year of my life and am now entering another. It was a fun birthday. I received ingenious surprises, wonderful gifts and got flooded by many birthday greetings.

But a birthday, in many ways, is a measurement of one’s achievements. Not monetary, not even professionally. But in identity and character. Maybe it is right, maybe it is wrong, but in reality, we know if we have friends and loved ones during birthdays and celebrations (such as Christmas and Valentine). I believe that if many people remember you on your birthday, give you gifts and send you greetings, then it means that you are loved, adored and cherished.

And many times in my life I was afraid of my birthday. I worry. I wonder. Will someone remember? Will anyone send a greeting? Or better yet, care to show they care?

And thus, I thank God that for this year, once again, many remembered. Two reasons. They did, because they are great friends. And because God has made me into a better person and this, I know, others see.

For my friends, I write this blog in your memory. I thank you for sharing your lives to me. I thank you for letting me be part of yours.

1 comment:

Beng said...

Hi Jen. Did we have fun on your birthday!:-) Jen, let me liken our growing friendship to reading a book. At this stage,I'm just reading the introduction. And I can't wait to read more. :-)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)