Tuesday, August 02, 2005

It can be fun!

Before it began, sitting a few rows from the stage, I was smiling to myself. I found it somewhat funny that I will be giving a testimony. Or maybe it was just the coping mechanism within me. And muttering to myself, for several times, “Oh God!” Dreading the moment I need to stand yet found it humorous that I fear what I am about to do. And then, our Pastor was calling me, mentioning that he has asked me because he was a witness to the changes God did to me. And so I slowly walk to the stage, accepting the microphone he handed to me while encouraging me that I could do it.

In about 10 minutes, it was all over.

I did make some mistakes. Mispronounced certain words, blundered over two or three phrases, even repeated the same words all over. Blame it on my fluttering heart. But in general, my testimony went well.

I was nervous. A sea of faces looking at me. I fumbled over my first sentence. Tried to be spontaneous. And decided to just read the text I prepared. I reminded myself to retain my smile but be solemn at certain places. I remember stressing a particular point so that they will remember it.

I prayed several times that God will use my words to encourage someone, even just one. I’ve been there, felt what a regular kid felt, and so I hope that through my mistakes, through my life, they will learn, and help them follow the right path. I asked God to check my motives. I do want to brag about the changes God has done in me, but I want to make sure that it is for His glory and not mine.

Later on, some people approached me, telling me that they were blessed by my testimony. I smiled and I thanked them, not knowing what else to say. I know that people usually praise God but this is the first time to me and I am not used to verbally doing that. I know though that I thank God for the privilege He has given me.

One person that I never expected to do so approached me. His sister discipled me. And in some ways, I want to return the favor to his kids.

Thank you God. It was fun! Yet, am I ready for the next round?

1 comment:

Beng said...

Yes, you are. The world is waiting. You need to make up for the time you hibernated. It's your time to shine! :-) Happy for you.

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)