Monday, August 22, 2005

Code name: TH

Boring. And forced. In local terms: TH or trying hard. That’s how I found the book “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown. Of course, I also had the usual perception much like that of fellow believers: that it was blasphemous. And I have to admit that in certain parts, the story was riveting, if only for the suspense when people were running after Robert and Sophie. But otherwise, I often found myself getting drowsy, even falling asleep while reading the book ( A sacrilege! I normally don’t fall asleep when I read storybooks!). Is it because I knew already that the author was writing about untruths? Or is it because I expected too much from the book based on the popularity it has attained? Or maybe it was set in France?

I am no expert in doing book reviews nor do I dare make one officially. But I’ve read lots of fiction books and thus I have a point comparison. And all I can say is that the author seemed to be trying so hard to be scandalous! He tried to ferret out unchristian (or New Age) meanings to all Christian beliefs and symbols! It was so easy to identify the Teacher, to boot! Thus, it was easy to lose interest in following a mystery in which you already know the enemy! (takes away the suspense!)

To veer off my unofficial review, in retrospect, I wonder… can the man sleep at night? How can someone write something so profane and so ungodly and yet not be fearful? Does he really believe in everything he has written? Is this just a ploy to sell his story? Are his mind and heart totally blind by these blatant untruths that he could not even feel a glimmer of compunction for his writing? Believing in lies is one thing, but making others partake of your deceit is another.

I hope he will one day unweave his web of deception. Pity the man who is blinded beyond our imagination.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I read his other book: Angels and Demons. A much better creation. Better thought of. Better planned. Better written. It was not even sacrilegious (unless I missed something, it's not blatanly profane anyway). I was rushing through the words because I wanted to really know the ending and discover the archenemy. Rather read this one.

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)