Saturday, August 25, 2007

Omnium-Gatherum (Random thoughts 2)

I have been trying to get serious with my thesis for the past week. It took me quite a long time to muster the courage to face 367 pages of translation. The idea itself is so daunting that I have made so many reasons not to start. It is so much easier to do mundane things and call on to my propensity to put into oblivion responsibilities that must be done.

And I just finished doing the first review of the first chapter. And I am trying to complete the translation of the second chapter. For those who are not familiar with translating written works, it is necessary to review again and again the translated text until you get the feel that you finally achieved what the author was trying to put across to the reader. It can be crazy. It can be interesting. I am satisfied to say that these days, I am finding it very interesting indeed. The momentum is there. I just hope it will last long enough for me to reach the conclusion. I have to. I am nearly reaching MRR and I don’t want to overtake the record of the last one who just graduated.

= = =

No wonder men are getting confused with what we women want. We say that we want equal rights yet we still expect men to give up their chair or open the door for us. But it makes a man more endearing when he safeguards her when crossing a busy street, when he suggests to carry a heavy package, when he offers to give her a ride or even to just ask if she can safely go home.

Lest I be charged with inequality, I have to mention that we can be gentlewomen too. We give up our chairs to grandfathers, grandmothers and pregnant women. But not for the strong, young and able men. In fact, we are giving you the opportunity to rise above our esteem. I just hope you will get it.

= = =

I read an article that, most often than not, we look for partners who share the same interests, qualities, characteristics, even physical dimensions that we have. Like looks for like. Those who love to read would find readers interesting. Those who love sport activities would enjoy the company of a partner who finds it thrilling to run after an inanimate ball. Singing the same kind of songs would seal a connection. Sharing the same perspective in life could strengthen the beginnings of the ever after.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. There always will be. That is the beauty of variety and individuality. But I believe there is truth in the article. First of all, they did research. And second, it is easier to connect with someone you have something in common with. Now, let us start thinking of what the qualities we have. Or maybe, look at the qualities of the person you like. See if there is any similarity. Search away! I hope you find something!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, very interesting!:)
Hey Jen, wishing you well on that translation. It seems daunting but I know you can do it. If you can finish a novel in one sitting, you can finish this thesis!

Jen said...

thanks for the vote of confidence Beng! Remind me always ha... so that my procrastination won't kick in. :- )

Swipe said...

translating a whole book? that's gotta be really tough. good luck!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

yup, whole book nga. Thanks swipe!

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)