Friday, August 03, 2007

Thanksgiving with the ABCs

I make it a point to start a new year by writing down things that make me thankful for the one that just passed. I was not able to make one early this year. It flew too fast. So I decided to write them down as I start a new year that is more real. I am turning a year older.

Thanks Gypsy for the pattern! (http://gypsyshaven.blogspot.com/)

A: Answers. To many of my prayers. Spoken or silent. Even those that are so entrenched in my subconscious.

B: Blogging. In words or in pictures. Postings make me remember. To cherish the good memories and to learn from the bad ones.

C: Camera. Thank God someone created this technology, especially the digital ones. Capturing the imagery has become easier. Now, if only I can replace the broken one.

D: Darcy. My beloved McDarcy. He has been accompanying so much in my writing adventures, limited they may be. Kudos to Apple! No virus to worry about and better specs to offer!

E: Eyes that could see better. I took a courageous step this year by having LASIK. The better to see the world.

F: Family. I wouldn’t be alive without the parents who gave birth to me or the brothers who bugged me. :-)

G: Grub. I love to eat even if I don’t look it. Meat. Fruits. Desserts. Pasta. Fish. Anything and everything. Just don’t make me eat anything with coconut milk. :- )

H: Health. Mine is not perfect but I am happy to be able to walk, to see, to hear, to laugh, to work, to just be.

I: Internet. The DSL, most especially. Connecting has become much easier.

J: Jesus. My Saviour. Life would be so hard without His presence. He is loving and merciful. Faithful. Forever forgiving. He is constantly drawing me to Him. Despite me, mine and myself.

K: Kindred souls. There aren’t many of them but they make life better. Our diversity and similarity makes living more interesting.

L: Language. Its nuances. Its complexities. Fascinating part of interaction. Local dialects, foreign tongues even sign languages.

M: Me. I am thankful that I am me. Despite and because of myself.

N: Nos and naps. I have learned to say no. And still learning. Naps. I am beginning to appreciate them. Especially the long ones. Power naps! Yo!

O: Open-minded. Constantly learning how to be one. This is not easy but I am getting there.

P: Promises. Those that are written in the Word of God. I can always hold on to them when things don’t look so good.

Q: Quid. When you have them and you get to buy what you need and want. I only wish there are more of them to go around. :- )

R: Responsibilities. There are days that I hate them. I know though that I need them for direction, for stability, for the strengthening of my character.

S: Surprises. I love getting them. Especially those that make me shout with glee and jump up and down. A recent one is the promise of an unexpected trip.

T: Travels. I love to travel and see the world. Thank God for those that I got for free or subsidized!

U: Ubiety. For being born in my beloved country. Ironic that the more I travel, the more I love my country. Pilipinas kong minamahal. If only there would be less pollution and better roads. Or better yet, less politics and more actions.

V: Variety. There is beauty in variety. It is wonderful to try out new things and rediscover old ones.

W: Thankful for the WORK that He gave me. Makes me think and allows me to learn new things. There’s variety. I get to go out of the office once in a while.

X: Xystus. A garden path lined with trees or pillars during the Roman times. :- ) It is so hard to find a word that starts with an “x!” Maybe I should be thankful for a xylophone? :- )

Y: Youth. Technically, I may no longer be part of this group but hey, in my heart, I am even younger than most young people I know. Hurray for the young at heart!

Z: Zest. For life. Most of the time. I just hope that I won’t run out of supply.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hi Jen, this could be my list as well, I love your U for Ubeity. I love the Philippines too--warts and all. :)

Jen said...

thanks for the idea! there are so many things we can be thankful for...

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)