Monday, August 27, 2007

Pursuing Him

The first two lines of Michael W. Smith’s Draw Me Close make this song a favorite. This has always been my prayer to God. For Him to never let me go. To always draw me close to Him.

It so easy for life to engulf us. It is so easy for the cares of the world to sneak into our hearts and to forget what matters. It is so easy for us to get so busy that we fail to remain connected to our first love.

Lately, I have been thinking that this is happening to me. It was not evident at first. That was part of the deception. The warning bells are so faint. It was so hard to hear them. What made it more awful is that the guilty conscience doesn’t seem to be working. It was then that I realized I have to do something.

I need to get back to Him. Even though I am not feeling any sensation, my mind was telling me that something must be done. I got reminded of the song. And I prayed it. Draw me close to You. Never let me go. The more I prayed, the more I realized that He has always been there and He has been constantly drawing me to Him. It was me who was slipping from His hold.

According to Philip Yancey, God is shy. Shy? How can He be shy when He has created me and the whole world? Isn’t He the one in control? But it is true. He is shy to intervene. He is shy to act. He lets us be until we let Him in.

I am learning something different. For me to get back in His fold, I need to pursue Him. It must be my choice to return to Him.

The pursuit is exciting. I know there will be wonderful things to discover about Him.

= = =

The sensation of silence cannot be helped : a loud and evident God would be a bully, an insecure tyrant, an all crushing datum instead of, as He is, a bottomless encouragement to our faltering and frightened being. – John Updike

No comments:

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)