Saturday, January 19, 2008

Culture in National Treasure

I didn’t think I’d enjoy National Treasure that much. But then, I should have known. Nicolas Cage is very good in choosing his projects. Most of the time, they are blockbusters.

Of course, the adventures were really enjoyable. Several scenes represented tension to the audience who waited with suspense for the next incident. I didn’t expect to chuckle almost throughout the film. The last time it happened was when I watched Robin Williams’ movie “License to Wed.” Yet, it seemed like there were times I was the only one laughing. Either my laughter button was too sensitive or the others didn’t get the joke. Useless to speculate. Either way, I might be damaging myself.

I will always remember that this movie was, in some way, a cultural experience. Snippets from various countries. The unique accent of a Frenchman when speaking in English. The literary knowledge of a French policeman. The run-down of British insults that do not sound like one. The handsome British security men. The narrow and wide roads in London. The origin of the Statue of Liberty. And others that I no longer remember.

There seemed to be numerous impossibilities in the movie. But then, it is Hollywood. It can make things possible.

Great movie to make one laugh. I really enjoyed the steady stream of deadpan quips of Justin Bartha. If only I could remember what the first National Treasure was all about.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The important thing is that we got our money's worth, di ba? Nobody expects a "perfect" movie (especially from a Bruckheimer produced film), but everyone expects to be entertained.

-snglguy-

Jen said...

true! goodie coz movies are getting more expensive ha...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen...thanks for visiting my site :)

Anyway enjoyed this one too but not as much as the first one. I think I like the first one better =)

Abaniko said...

Glad you like the movie. I didn't. I cannot express it in Tagalog nor in English but in Bisaya we say, "Atik ra kaayo." But it provided me mild fun though. :)

Jen said...

Hi verns! thanks for dropping by also! i am not sure if i saw the 1st one. i have to check.

abaniko... it's okay. we can't like the same things : - ) you have to explain to me the bisaya phrase one of these days :- )

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)