Saturday, January 26, 2008

Trinoma day

Field work yesterday brought me in the vicinity of Trinoma, the meeting place of several blogger friends for a dinner. A working lunch allowed me to end the day a bit earlier than usual (we're flexible). What to do with my precious two hours before the dinner? I was thinking of grabbing this chance to watch a movie since I don't get to watch that often anymore (considering that I am normally a movie addict!). But I felt dizzy. I knew I needed a quick sugar fix. The chicken meal from Jollibee was not sufficient to get me through a whole afternoon of meetings with people.

Went up the escalator. Looked around. Passed by Mary Grace. Saw Orange Juice. Nearing National Bookstore. And then, it hit me! Mary Grace! That was the place Pastor Jessie was telling me about! We were planning to go to the Fort Boni branch but I never got to actually savor its much-touted ensaymada. Hmmm... feed the stomach or feed the mind? But then, a month-long nightly date with Darcy (my iBook) to do my school work left me with a constant heaviness in my head. I need peace and quiet. And sweets!



I retraced my steps and settled myself in a corner. There were various choices but I opted for something light. I wanted to enjoy the dinner later. The prices of the sweets were okay but the heavier meals are a bit pricey when you think that it is not really a normal restaurant (like Cravings or Cafe Provençal). I ordered four kinds of the tiny square desserts (food for the gods, lemon cake, brownies and prune cake) and a frothy iced drink (forgot the name, but it was red and refreshing). I knew I was not supposed to read but I couldn't help but notice the interesting books all over the place. I picked the one about not sweating the little things in life (I forgot the title. But what's new? : D ). The entries were short and practical. Just the right company for me while I waited for time to pass by. The book reminded me not to focus on little things that can destroy a whole day, if you let them.

I enjoyed my time alone at Mary Grace. I should do this more often.

National Bookstore was the next stop. I wanted to buy a gift for a good friend of mine. It's hard to give her a gift though. She's one of those people who seems to have everything. But with the color combination of my gifts, I know she will love them, simple that they are. And oh, I bought two Philippine history books. I have to read them. I really am not too enthusiastic about it but it is required. Hay... this is going to be a trying time. And of course, give a girl some extra time, a mall-wide sale, a ready credit card, and voila, I bought a cute shirt from Orange Juice.

And then off to Gerry's Grill to meet blogger friends. Three were already there. Beng (www.bengalba.wordpress.com), Carlotta (www.palaboy-lamonster.blogspot.com) and Sngleguy (www.snglguy.com). Then Verns (www.vernsandverns.wordpress.com). It was my first time to meet her but I already visited her site. Her 99 things reminded me to finish the list I planned to do before the end of the month. I hope I get to finish it in time.

Of course, food at Dencio's has always been good. We enjoyed the crispy kangkong. Then there's the ever present sisig. Though I am not really a pork lover, I took some of the inihaw na lechon (but didn't eat the fat part). And of course, I savoured the squid, my all-time favorite. There's also the tasty vegetable kare-kare (Beng remarked that it only contained vegetables!). Oh, before I forget, just a comment, their lemonade was watered down too much.

There's time for some coffee. Verns led the way to Starbucks. It was right beside Landmark. And I admired its slick look, the grocery section anyway. I have to go back there and check out the women's section. I heard from another friend that there are pretty dresses there. Back to Starbucks, I totally enjoyed the verbal sparring of Verns and Snglguy. :- ) It was all for fun.

The shops began to close. Carlotta's eyes began to fall down. Beng was starting to yawn. The taxi line was getting longer. It was time to go. We just reached the beginning of the taxi line but twice, taxis kept zooming past us and go to the end of the line. I realized later on, inside the taxi we had to run after, that the orientation of the line was the other way around. Taxi drivers get confused. Trinoma should maintain a single direction for taxi lines.

I got home safely, filled with food and happy for a well-spent day in Trinoma. By the way, it was my third time. I plan to have a fourth, a fifth, sixth, tenth....


Trinoma picture from Superpatrick (www.superpatrick.wordpress.com)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe, it was really a fun evening... marred only by that long waiting line at the taxi stand. Anyways, glad you guys enjoyed the night. :-D

Oh btw, the place was Dencio's not Gerry's Grill. I changed the venue remember? ;-)

Jen said...

Dencio's ba? hehehe.. thanks for reminding me. Didn't really notice. Thinking about it though, i think i like the food of dencio's better than Gerry's grill... :- ) except for the lemonade...

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day! Hah, to be single and enjoy food and malling with your friends. My boys love trinoma - cinema, powerbooks and pancakes. Did you wait taxi in front of Mcdonalds? Mahaba pila pero maraming supply ng taxi. So sandali lang waiting time.

mommy g.

vernaloo said...

ei Jen! Next time pag usapan naman natin lovelife ni Rudy..tingnan natin kung maka -ekkk pa sha hahaha

It was a pleasure meeting you and Carla :)

carlotta1924 said...

sarap naman nyang brownies! ma-try nga minsan. =)

Anonymous said...

first time natin sa trinoma after we went to la mesa dam, right?:)

Jen said...

hey mommy g! thanks for visiting ulit!

verns, sige nga, gawin natin yun next time! hehehe...

carla, oo nga e, i also want to go back to try out the other desserts :- )

beng, nakapunta na ako before pero sobrang konti palang ang open so parang di counted... hehehe..

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)