Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Deadlines

Today marks that half of 2009 is over. And if you’ve set deadlines for this year, you’d realize that you only have another six months to accomplish them all.

 

Deadlines. They are part of our lives. We hate them yet we live by them. Some people (like me!) may wait the last few moments before finishing what we need to do. This is because some of us can thrive when we are feeling the pressure of an approaching date. These deadlines could be personal or professional in nature. For something life-changing as changing jobs to something simple as choosing where to eat for dinner.

 

In my weirdness, I can sometimes put deadlines on my feelings, like  when to stop grieving and healing. Yeah, I know that emotions cannot be controlled so I know I cannot be rigid on the dates. What I do is to just extend the deadline if I feel it is necessary. I just like putting deadlines so that I have a goal to achieve. It becomes easier to see the end of the tunnel. To tell my mind and heart that there is an ending.

 

It works.

 

Sometimes. 

2 comments:

MelB said...

Yeh, I do know what you mean about thriving under pressure, however I never thought of putting a deadline on my emotions. I guess in one way it is good because at some point you have to rein in your feelings and not let yourself wallow in misery. So it is a way of watching out for your mental/emotional state of health.

Jen said...

I have to make deadlines on my emotions... otherwise, i will get overwhelmed... :D

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)