Monday, June 15, 2009

I am learning: Choosing to love my country


In the last few weeks that I have been going to work, colorful banners have been catching my attention. They are all over EDSA, the main thoroughfare of Metro Manila. What really captured my eyes were the words “Pilipinas kong mahal” (The Philippines I love). These are words that should make each Filipino think. As citizens of this country, can we truthfully say that we love the Philippines?

 

Sometimes I find it hard to do so.

 

When I hear about numerous politicians who focus on their personal ambitions instead of serving their constituency. Or policemen and traffic enforcers who, instead of protecting the people, use their uniforms to solicit money, goods and services. Or when I see the lack of action of our government to solve crime, poverty, and violence among the most marginalized in our country.

 

I despair over the lack of discipline, the discrimination against our own people, the mediocrity of some government services. When you sense that there is a dominant perception that anything foreign, Western or Asian, is better.

 

But I cannot blame them. It took me some time before I finally saw the beauty of our country and our people. Several trips abroad made me realize that yes, there are wonderful things across the sea but we, too, have our own beauty to offer. We have beautiful beaches, majestic mountains, unique animals and fauna, awesome underwater creatures, delectable delicacies, mysterious caves, varied landscapes and temperate weather. Our land is filled with good-hearted people, warm, loving and forgiving (sometimes to a fault), flexible, resilient, industrious, and when given the right goals and opportunities, excellently crafting our products and services.

 

Many times though I wonder if we would ever reach the success that other countries have attained.

 

I remind myself: we are a young republic. Though we officially declared our independence on June 12, 1898, we were only able to run our country on our own in 1946. I often have to stop myself from comparing the Philippines with other countries because we are different. We were endowed with different gifts. We are not like Singapore , set in a much smaller area. We are not like Thailand or Vietnam, partly surrounded by other countries. We are not like Japan, speaking a common language and made up of mostly big islands.

 

Our geography has greatly influenced the birth of what is thought to be the Filipino of today. Living in more than 7,000 islands, coming from different tribes, speaking hundreds of dialects, we are unlike other any nation in the world. I am not sure if we will ever attain the sense of unity that other countries have. We are such a diverse nation. But we do recognize and champion our own.

 

Often we are haunted by our past. We sometimes blame the sufferings we have gone through. True, the Spaniards did abuse us and impressed upon us some of their negative attitudes but they introduced to a majority of our people the reality of Jesus Christ and instilled in us a faith in God. Yes, the language of the Americans connected us to their land and culture but this also helped us prepare for our future in the global scheme of things. As we sent our families and friends abroad, we also become the bearer of God’s Word. When we proudly say that we are the only Christian nation in Asia, we are in fact bringing His Light to some of the darkest corners of the world, unreached by other more advanced nations.

 

It really is hard to see where our country would be in five years time. With the elections next year, a lot of things can happen. But we need to do our share. Begin to love our country. Speak good words about our people and our land. Recognize the quality of our products. Visit our beautiful sites. And most of all, please pray for our country. Everyday. Pray for our government. Pray for our media. Pray for the private sector. Pray for each OFW we send out as well as for the families they leave behind. Pray for yourself that you can love the country that provided the environment, history and culture which made you who you are today.

 

I love my country. I love my color. I am a proud Filipina.

3 comments:

MelB said...

Yes, I think of your country as being "young". As you say, you have not been running your own country for very long. I am drawn to your country for some reason...well, I assume it is because of my mom's family. But I do find that Filipinos are a warm people. I love learning about your country and hope to visit someday especially since I sponsor a little boy over there. Nice post Jen.

Jen said...

Hi Mel! Thanks! And thank God for touching your heart so that you can bless a boy from here. We do appreciate all the help we can get. Just wondering... what is the connection with your mom's family? :D

MelB said...

Thanks Jen! I'll email you ;)

Lion Chaser Manifesto

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don't let what's wrong with you keep you from worshiping what's right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze new trails. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don't try to be who you're not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

Chase the lion.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (www.evotional.com)